Reflecting on the project

Uncategorized

The skirt was completed for the TUI group presentations. It was a long night but we managed to get the skirt running (most of the time)and calibrated it for (almost) perfect rise and fall.

The aesthetics of the skirt were absolutely great! I was very happy with the fabric Heidi chose compared to the Batman-inspired one Taili and I chose. The hoops did not work as well as we all had hoped, to maintain the circular form of the skirt but they did enough to cover the bulk of the motors and create a hoop-skirt aesthetic. I also like the sleeves that Taili fixed up with LEDs. It was, however, very painful to wear because there was no protection from the battery the LEDs were running on so I got burned several times from the battery.

The mechanics worked out mostly well. The NXT motors were taped to my leggings (at my thighs) to facilitate with calibration and the skirts assembly and dis-assembly. The gears were tied to the strings that ran through the inner-hoops, which also facilitated assembly, although there was plenty calibration that had to be done once the skirt was almost on. The NXT brick was dangling under the skirt, held up by the touch sensor connections I held in my hand. This helped avoid with excess tape and support for the skirt. It also facilitated debugging as I had to manage all the final tweaks for the skirt to work. The final bit to get it ready was calibrating the gears and the sting. The program for the skirt was to pull up the top-sheer of the skirt layer with 15 revolutions, then rotate the motors in one direction 6 times on a particular button’s press. The main skirt could also be dropped with a different button press by having the motors rotate in the opposite direction 6 times.

Overall, I think the final concept was achieved. The skirt functionality was demonstrated as something feasible and relatively easy to implement. It would be nice to expand on movement by having large sleeves perform a similar function.

Advertisements